Monday, May 9, 2011

{Mothers day & Apple dumplings}

Happy Mothers day to all the mamas out there :) Our mothers day was so fun this year! We made homemade gifts for our moms. We made felted soap & a calming facial cleanser & they loved them both!  {I will add tutorials for both soon} Also, William got me a gift too, {I was not expecting anything this year, because well, our little chickpea is not in our arms yet :) } He completely surprised me! He gave me the cutest diaper bag I have ever seen! It was really exciting for me to get this awesome gift, because it is my first mommy thing :) Its actually starting to feel real!


Later in the day, my mommy & sister came over. William and my sister made dinner. They made Tilapia with Quinoa & Zucchini picked fresh from the farm. It was so delicious! After dinner, we made dessert. We made our families absolute favorite dessert, Apple dumplings.  I got the recipe from my mom, who got it from my grandma, who got it from her dear friend Ruth Denny many many years ago. Our family has made this recipe for years! I thought we were the only ones who had this recipe, but I'm finding out a lot of people have this recipe {I think its because its so delicious, no one can resist sharing the recipe!} Which is what i'm going to do today:

To make Ruth Denny's easy Apple dumplings you need all of these ingredients:
{2 green apples, 1/2 C sugar, Cinnamon, 1 t. vanilla, 1 8 oz can crescent rolls, 1/2 stick butter (i used margarine because i was out of butter sticks)} 

{Peel & core both apples & cut them into fourths}

{Pop open the can of crescent rolls, and roll each apple slice into a crescent roll} 

{Place all crescent rolled apple slices into a buttered glass pie pan} 

{Melt your butter (or margarine) in a microwave safe bowl. Lightly mix the sugar into the butter. ( you want it to be textured so that the sugar will crystalize on the dumplings.) Then lightly stir in the vanilla & pour mixture over the dumplings} 

{Sprinkle with as much cinnamon as you would like, then pour a small amount of Mnt. Dew just  around the edges of the dumplings} 

{Bake at 350* for about 35 minutes. Pull them out of the oven & let cool for a few minutes} 

{Serve the hot dumplings with cold vanilla ice cream  :) Yummy!} 

Did you do anything fun for your mother on mothers day? Or did your family do something fun for you? Tell me about it here! Or if you have a yummy family recipe you would like to share, I would love to try it out :) Happy mothers day! 

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious!!! I think I might just try and make those today :)

    ReplyDelete