Friday, September 21, 2012

{Home made baby food: Chicken with sweet potato & apple}

I've always known i wanted to make my own baby food for our children
Thats why, when G refused the spoon, i was so heart broken
at 6 months we offered her first food, sweet potatoes, she loved them! 
She ate a few bites every night for about a week, then suddenly, NO MORE
Miss G did not want anything to do with a spoon, or pureed food.
I was so confused! 
G was interested in solids, just not solids from a spoon
She would eat anything that she could pick up & eat herself, so i started cutting foods  into little chunks, like carrots, tofu, pears.. etc. She Loved those! 
Then suddenly, she started to refuse her little chunks! 
What is going on with this child! 
I tried to get her to eat the plum organics baby pouches. It was hit or miss. one day she would suck down the whole thing, the next day, she wanted nothing to do with it & would scream, cry & shake her head as we put it close to her. 
Desperate, i went online & purchased a book that looked interesting, its called "Top 100 baby purees" by annabel karmel. There are some pretty yummy looking recipes in there! I thought, hey, why not give a couple of these a try, maybe she will really like one! 

The first recipe i made from this book was a puree of Apples, Sweet potatoes & chicken.
& to my surprise, she ate it.
ALL of it
I scraped the little bowl clean & had to get more for her hungry little mouth! 
That was over a week and a half ago, & every night since then, she has successfully eaten {atleast} 4 oz of homemade baby food. 
Ive made lots of recipes from this book & froze them, so we are set for a while.
Every night, i switch it up & give G a different puree, expanding her tastebuds, & not just giving her the same thing over & over, so it stay exciting for her! 
She Cant get enough! 
So Here is the recipe for that first recipe i prepared, 
{Keep in mind that i gave this to our 9 month old daughter. I dont think this recipe is appropriate for a baby younger than 6/7 months.}

Chicken With Sweet Potato & Apple
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
 {We use Earth balance-its dairy free}
1/4 Cup chopped onion
4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast chopped
1 large sweet potato chopped
1/2 large apple peeled, cored & chopped
1 cup chicken stock or broth
* Saute your onion in the butter for 2-3 minutes, then add the Chicken & continue to Saute until chicken starts to look opaque
* add the sweet potato, apple & broth or stock. 
Bring to a boil, then cover & let simmer for 15 minutes
* puree to correct consistency 
Serve it to your sweetie! 
This recipe makes A lot of food, so you will want to properly freeze & store the remainder.
I will do a post soon on how to do this :) 
I forgot to take pictures of that part! 

7 comments:

  1. Have you heard of gill rapley's book Baby-led Weaning? I highly recommend it, especially as your little one has shown an interest in finger foods. I used that book together with the Annabel Kramer book for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello!
      Thank you for the recommendations! I will definately be looking into those books!

      Delete
    2. sorry, I think my ipad changed Karmel to Kramer! lol

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this! I just whipped it up and I am feeding it to my 9 month old now. He loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome info! I am looking forward to see more postsby you! Thai Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete