Friday, October 28, 2011

{DIY Painted Burlap Wall art}

{A Unique Piece of art for Giuliana's room}
Remember our "List of things to do before baby?" We're really getting quite a bit of it done! Yesterday i crossed off #8: Paint Canvas for babies room.  Im really excited about this one :) I have been trying to decide what to paint for a long time! This is what i decided to do:
A nice size canvas
Some burlap
Paint 
Paint brush
* I was able to do this project with items we already had. I had Leftover burlap from our Ruffle christmas tree skirt, I found the canvas at goodwill for $5 a long time ago {I cleaned it up so it was like new!}, & we already had the paint in our garage from previous paint projects. 
Cut your burlap to the size you want. I wanted it to look jagged & not fill the canvas. So this is what my burlap looked like after i cut it. 
Take your burlap & do a basic sketch of what you are going to paint..
Get your paint ready..
Set up your paint station. My paint station is our garage, as you can see, our garage floor is covered with random paint :) 
Begin painting your burlap!
Once you have finished & your burlap is dry, secure your burlap to the canvas. To do this, i used twine. Tie a knot at the end of a long pice of twine.
Thread the twine through the bak of your canvas & burlap with a yarn needle.
Thread through again to make an "X" pattern to make it quite secure. Do this on all four corners & wherever else you feel is necessary.
Last but not least, hang your art! It looks lovely in Our babies room over her crib. William & i have put lots of love & hard work into her room. I love the unique touches it has with her art,  her Doily lamp, & many other projects we have worked on. I cant wait to sit in that room with her in my arms, rather than sitting there alone, looking at an empty crib,  like i do now. 
Giuliana, you are so loved, & you have blessed our lives in so many ways already, & we havent even met you yet! You will be an amazing little girl, im so sure of it. Just wait until you arrive, you will be snuggled & kissed like there is no tomorrow! 

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.” (NIV) Psalm 139:13 -14, 17, 18

Happy crafting my friends! 


6 comments:

  1. I just saw your ruffled tree skirt on Pinterest and I am now following your blog. Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks great Ashley! you two are going to make such wonderful parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley! Your nursery turned out beautiful! I did a highlight on my blog of your handmade art for one of my Styleboards. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Hope you're having fun with that little lady of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this amazing craft Idea. I'm using it on a canvas bag and it's PERFECT for me.
    You rock ma'am!

    ReplyDelete